joulukuuta 07, 2010

Trust

We had more snow on saturday :)

Now that I have sometimes climbed up on Olga's back, I haven't fully understood how much she already trusts me. I feel quite safe in there, when we are in our arena. I actually went for a short trail ride with her one time but we were not ready for that so we ended up walking with six feet on the ground most of that trip. But it was still ok, because I listened to Olga and my "gut feel" so nothing bad happened.

On saturday I was again riding, and actually we got our second-ever riding lesson from this lady "K" who owns the place where Olga lives. I like her style in teaching, and she lets me do my own thing.

First she asked me what is my next goal. I said I'd like it a lot if we could start building trust so that we can maybe some day go for a trail ride with others. We started with a kind of one hand stop, where the aim is to stop a horse only by moving my hand over her withers to the other side. Well Olga was very good at that. K told me that Olga is an excellent horse, really at ease but ready to do what I ask for.

Then I asked if K could ride Olga. I told her that there aren't many people I would let do that and so she got up there. Olga was tence. Really tence. She would not even walk, she was dancing in tölt, very nervous. K said she felt like sitting on a barrel full of gunpowder. After two rounds she still did not get Olga to relax and just walk, so she asked if I could walk with them. That way we convinced Olga that she did not have to worry and she was more at ease. After that, K told me to ride few laps. When I got up there, Olga turned to sniff my boot, then shook her head, and let out a sigh of relief. And we walked.

It sounds a lot worse than it was, of course I would've stopped it if Olga would seem to be terrified. K said it was an enlightening experience for her, that she now understands Olga a lot better, and that I should never let anyone else ride Olga again, that she clearly needs that bond of trust to be able to cope with it. She also told me that in her opinion, what I have done (or have NOT done, as I've taken things veeeeeryyyy slowly) with Olga in this past year has been exactly what she needs.

It was wonderful to hear. And it was wonderful to realize what we already got. Trust. Wow.



Good night, Olga!

Few summery pics of me and Olga :)

8 kommenttia:

  1. She is such a special horse, isn't she? How wonderful that she has put her trust in you. I love that last photo where she's cocking her head at you.

    Sometimes you don't realize how much progress you've made until one day all of a sudden you can see!

    VastaaPoista
  2. Oh yes, she is special, for me. But I think every horse in their twenties will be as wonderful as she is, I don't think she is exceptionally clever or anything :)

    It felt really great to discover that we actually have build something here, it's not like I was questioning it before, I just had not thought about that (either).

    VastaaPoista
  3. Moi Jenny,
    There is nothing like realizing the amount of trust you have with a horse, it always seems to catch me by surprise, too. Those moments are priceless! Olga seems like a very thoughtful horse :-)

    VastaaPoista
  4. Jenny, she has demonstrated wonderfully how much she trusts you. You are lucky in your teacher too: she obviously trusts you in your knowledge of and relationship with Olga. I am sure you will progress to enjoying some really great trail rides.

    What saddle do you use?

    VastaaPoista
  5. I think that's true what you say about horses in their 20's, Jenny. (not that Olga isn't extra-special!) They become so wise.

    VastaaPoista
  6. K, nice to see you here, thank you for commenting! Olga is a wonderful teacher, ever so patient with me <3

    Máire, I don't have a saddle for her, I mostly ride bareback or using bareback pad. Maybe it is misleading to call it riding, as I usually just spend some 15 minutes on her back, and she can walk if she wishes, or not.

    If we ever start to go for longer trail rides I will have to find her a suitable saddle :)

    VastaaPoista
  7. Olga is such a beautiful girl!
    My boy, Griffin, does not like strangers riding him either. I've been his primary rider for much of his 13 years and I've always used only gentle methods with him (even though they were still somewhat forceful). He's never associated harsh treatment with under saddle work (he was not trained for riding when I got him - he was a harness racer).
    Now that he is older and I am on a new "path" of understanding, I don't ride as much (although I still do some -- with his permission of course). I've also stopped allowing strangers to ride him as well.
    My neice is 11 and is falling in love with horses. I hope to teach her about this new path and stress that she will have to build a friendship with Grif on the ground before she can ride him.
    I am not a personal fan of having strangers hug- or even touch me, so I can relate to how a horse feels with someone strange "up" there.
    Grif and I still enjoy trails....and we walk them as much as we ride (if not more). It sounds like you and Olga have a great bond going...it won't be long before you are riding as well as walking on the trails!

    VastaaPoista
  8. Thanks for visiting my blog, Carol! I wish to have that long relationship with Olga ahead, she will be 21 next year but hopefully she will stay healthy and happy!

    That is a good metaphor - strangers hugging - even less nice would be piggypacking strangers :D

    VastaaPoista